- Pollution of the Mühlbach through an industrial accident
- Reparation for the damage already started
- Safety comes first
At Egger Getränke there was an ammonia leak in production in Unterradlberg on Saturday morning. Ammonia is used as a coolant in production. As a result, production was interrupted immediately - and as standardized for such cases - in order to protect the employees and eliminate the source of error. In order to avert the danger for the employees, the ammonia was bound with water, whereby contaminated water got into the sewer system and subsequently into the Mühlbach. Since Monday evening it has been clear that the contamination of the Mühlbach was caused by Egger Getränke; the company was and is in constant communication with the authorities at all times.
Ammonia leakage during maintenance work is the cause
A valve on a refrigeration unit that was open too long during maintenance work had led to the leakage, with part of the ammonia also sinking into the duct. As a result, the removal of ammonia vapors was misjudged: the employees wanted to dampen the pungent smell and emptied water down the drain, which led to the formation of lye. “We deeply regret the damage and do everything we can to analyze the incident in detail and to repair the damage. Together with fishing experts and the local fishing association, we will restore the ecological balance in the Mühlbach as quickly as possible, ”says Egger Getränke's managing director Kurt Ziegleder. Initial discussions are currently taking place with those affected.
As a family business and a major employer in the region, Egger Getränke cooperates with the executive and the fishing associations and does everything in its power to contain the damage and prevent such incidents in the future.
Timing: Call up a crisis team immediately and bring experts on board
Saturday, May 12th 2018
• Early: ammonia leak in production, problem solving
• Afternoon: Egger Getränke receives initial information about a problem in the local Mühlbach
• Samples are taken and passed on to the laboratory
• Evening: Egger drinks present the facts at the Herzogenburg police station about ammonia leakage
• The competent water protection of the state of Lower Austria was informed by the police
Sunday, May 13th, 2018
• Verification of the production by the water protection of the state of Lower Austria
Monday, May 14, 2018
• Sworn expert for environmental chemistry, environmental damage and restoration Dr. Robert Sedlacek has been entrusted with more in-depth investigations by Egger Getränke
• Evening: Results show that the contamination of the stream from ammonia leakage in production is very likely
• On Monday evening, the relevant facts were reported to the police and to the water protection authorities responsible for the state of Lower Austria
When ammonia and water are mixed, the pH value in the water rises, the lime contained in it is dissolved and gives the milky-white image; this lime formation is unproblematic for the ecology. The main problem is the rise in pH, which is dangerous for fish.
Martina Macho PR
Tel: 0664/396 90 58